Monday, November 28, 2016

MARTIN 000-18



Live Aid 13 July 1985
Philadelphia
Ron Wood: ‘In New York, towards the middle of 1985, Bob Dylan rang to ask if I wanted to do a charity gig with him. "Sure," I said.
He showed up at my house to talk about what songs we might do.
Bob was showing me chords when I suggested getting Keith involved. Dylan agreed, so I rang Keith, two hours later the doorbell rang, and there was Keith saying: "So what do you want?"
I said: "Bob is downstairs, be nice to him." He followed me in and threw open his arms: "Bob...So great to see you!"
The three of us started rehearsing and got through pretty much the whole Dylan catalogue.
On the day of the gig, a limo came to pick up Keith and me. Before we got in, a truck pulled up with Dylan on board – the driver was his daughter.
Keith looked at me and said: "This better be f****** good."
It was better than good, it was Live Aid.
There were 72,000 people at Wembley Stadium in London, and 92,000 when we played at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia, plus 1.5billion people watching on TV in a hundred countries, all to help raise funds for famine relief in Ethiopia.
On the stairs up to the stage, Bob said: "Let's do Blowin' In The Wind." I said: "What?" But by then it was too late to argue. I couldn't believe it: that was the only song of his we hadn't rehearsed.
Right in the middle of it, one of Bob's guitar strings broke. I thought fast and handed my guitar to him, leaving me there in front of all those people, playing air guitar.
I was eventually handed another guitar, and when we finished our last song we turned around to find the entire cast on stage behind us’.

No comments:

Post a Comment